Monday, October 8, 2012

London, Days 21-23

Saturday was an absolutely beautiful day, with temperatures in the mid 50s and not a cloud in the sky (shocking, I know).  After sleeping in and heading for a run, I took the bus to the outskirts of time to pick up a package from the Royal Mail, which turned out to be my tickets to Manchester United on October 20th, when they will play Stoke City at Old Trafford.  With nothing to do, I took my work down to the local pub and sat outside to enjoy the weather while putting the finishing touches on one of my papers.  After dinner, I headed downtown to the International Students House with a bunch of friends for drinks before going to Piccadilly Circus before bed.
On Sunday, a rainy and cold day, I went for a run early before heading downtown to the Sports Cafe, a giant, two-story collection of TV screens showing every sport imaginable, in order to take in a great sports day.  First, Man United hammered Newcastle 3-0, which was fun to watch and encouraging to see United play so well in their first League fixture since a bad loss to Spurs the week prior.  Next up was El Clasico, the thrilling clash between Real Madrid and Barcelona.  The teams drew 2:2 with doubles from - who else - Messi and Ronaldo, who continue to be the two best in the world.  Few things are as spectacular as watching these two play. Finally, at 9 PM local time, I watched my first American football of the trip, catching the Patriots lay in to the Broncos.  I didn't make it home with my friends until 1 AM, but it was well worth it.
Monday was another cold and rainy day.  After sleeping in again, I went for a run in the driving rain, a decision which I regretted immediately.  Still, following my run it was time to go work, which I did until 4.  I went for a short walk around St. James' park because the rain had stopped, but eventually went back to the flat and relaxed before having dinner and going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment