Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9.11.01 - We Will Never Forget

Eleven years have now passed since since the second coming of the "Day that will live in infamy."  It was a Tuesday just like every other fall Tuesday.  But from my school in Potomac, Maryland, I was told in the middle of our all-school assembly that a plane had hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center.  From my classroom, I watched United 175 crash into the South Tower.  Then came the news of the Pentagon and rumors about the Capitol.  My mom worked then, and still works, at the Capitol.
Eventually, I got word that my mom was all right.  But as I made my way home from school that day, I could hear the fighter jets flying over the District.  I could see the smoke from the Pentagon in the distance.
Classmates of mine lost their father on American 77, the plane that crashed in to the Pentagon.  I've learned more recently that another friend of mine lost a father in the North Tower.  Experiences like this make you realize just how precious life is and how lucky we are to have our freedom.  Let us always remember those who died on that day and admire the strength and resolve of those they left behind.
9.11.01 - Never forgive, never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment